Monday, July 25, 2011

parley view parsnip

parley view parsnip by angryparsnip
parley view parsnip, a photo by angryparsnip on Flickr.

My Monday post on what is going on around my home.

Today it is really about my home..... A work in progress.

This is a mosaic I am working on for the back wall on my small wall
fountain. All made from broken tiles from some of my past project.
It will be floated on top of the sliced rock wall to hopefully look
like leafs and flowers floating down stream.

When I lived in Laguna Beach I use to have my own kiln and made
speciality tiles, wall planters and chess boards
I always save the pieces that didn't come out quite right , were
cracked, broken and I break them up and used in my mosaics.

On my recent move to Tucson, I am sure the movers where wondering why
this crazy lady was moving boxes of broken tiles carefully marked
"Broken Tiles, Studio, Do Not Drop"

ceramics. . . parsnip
music. . . Hollywood, Michael Buble

9 comments:

  1. Hello:
    This is such an imaginative and original way of using your broken pieces of pottery and will, we are sure, when complete make a most interesting and attractive addition to your garden.

    Yes, we can only speculate on what the removal people must have thought at the time. And the boxes are bound to have been heavy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One woman's broken stuff is another woman's treasure! That mosaic piece is shaping up quite nicely. I'd not realized you moved from Laguna. I have spent most of a lifetime in San Diego and other spots in SoCal. My two periods of displacement in Las Vegas are really the only times I've been away from the coast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that you labeled the box that way!

    smiles, bee
    xoxoxoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a wonderful project. Interesting shapes, delicate colors and patterns. Great way to recycle your work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Broken tiles, do not drop! hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That is going to be just so beautiful. I'm so looking forward to seeing the finished result. Mosaics with broken ceramics are something I've always wanted to try but haven't yet got around to. I'll be watching yours with interest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your home must be incredibly unique--and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane and lance...
    I have the broken tiles in smaller plastic boxes and packed them in the small moving boxes designed for books. I think they were not as heavy as they could have been.

    Leslie...
    You are quite brave to be living in Las Vegas. I think it is not as green as the Sonoran Desert I live in. Much hotter too !

    Empresse Bee...
    It wasn't the only thing that was strange. I also moved some rather large rocks that I have used in my gardens in several homes.

    Diane...
    It is very fun project and as soon as the grout goes on it magically ties it all together.

    Mollybot...
    Well, can you imagine their faces if they dropped the box and heard all that stuff crashing together.

    Joanna...
    I am not planning to mosaic the whole back-splash. It already has the sliced brown stone applied. We shall see it my idea works.
    In a bathroom in one of my homes I did a shower mosaic that looked like water was coming down the the wall, it turned out rather nice.

    Norma...
    My home is very minimal. I like it that way plus I don't like to dust so I really don't have a lot of stuff about. Except my studio is stuffed to the ceiling.
    My last home was in my eyes perfect, I was so sad when I had to sell it.
    In this home the view of the mountains is the draw.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That must be great fun to do. Especially when you know what you are doing:)

    ReplyDelete