Monday, August 13, 2012

parley view parsnip...pickles again


My Monday post about what is going on around my home in
Tucson, Arizona


The continuing saga of my different approaches to  pickling veggies.
The first jar has the jalapenos, carrots and garlic daughter made
along with the almost completely gone small jar of the jalapeno candy.

 For a quick pickling I often use the juice left in any store bought jar of pickles
and add what every veggie I have on hand, today it was carrots.

Last week Daughter came over and made oven dried tomatoes.
After cutting the tomatoes for roasting we take the "guts" out and instead of throwing them away
you mix them with chopped cucumber, small slice of any pepper, vinegar
and a bit of sugar.  Perfect !
So good as a dressing and a relish.

All my pickles are happily stored on a shelve in my frig.

I can't put them in the over stocked door shelves
because of all the Asian and Indian sauces and spices I use in my cooking.
I have a very small refrigerator.

Now for the good stuff to start the week
Very Old Square One, Watson sleeping in the sun
 

hey i gud dug hamish
just resting after walk
gud walk
too hot
you got chkikin'strip ?
yert !

Here is your pretty to start the week
Storm clouds from my studio window.
Blue sky, setting sun clouds and some storm clouds
looking like a volcano.


pickling. . . parsnip
music. . .  Spice Up Your Life,  Spice Girls
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. It occurs t ome the plant in your pot is very similar to mine which is either viburnum or verbena. I get themn muddled.
    I love pickled foods but have to be careful or I get heartburn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What amazing clouds!

    I have got into eating pickled capers. Yum! they are delicious with smoked salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great idea to put the carrots in the jar of juice!

    guddogiscuteandniceandshouldgetchickenstrip!yert!

    smiles, bee
    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great cloud shots!

    Hamish and Watson would prefer not to have chickenstrips pickled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that cloud picture too. Your dogs are very, very sweet. Keep them away from those pickles.....

    ReplyDelete