Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Wednesday In Japan...Omuraisu

With everything that has been going on lately in my life
my Wednesday in Japan
posts seems to have been put aside for awhile.
But today they are back.
Little stories about my life and travels in Japan.
Omuraisu !
Japanese Rice Omelet


Omuraisu is an example of
"Yoshoku"
 Japanese food that originated in the west but has been changed to suit Japanese palettes.
Omuraisu  is a soft fluffy omelet that has a filling with some type of stirred fried rice with chicken  with a dollop of ketchup in the filling and on top.
Usually you will find this on the children's menu.
It can also be a quick lunch or dinner, made from left over rice and meat.
This was my dinner one night along with a salad.
My filling was  kimchi stirred fried rice.
It was so good.
If you have read my blog for any time you know my love of kimchi,
and any form of chillies.
But now that I am on a nightshade and gluten  free diet, I can have the omuraisu but not with the added kimchi .
Oh woe is me ! as Hamish would say.

But I can have this dish. It is my take on Gyudon (Beef Bowl)
Slowed cooked ground turkey made with spices I can have and lots of onions, served on arugula, small amount of rice and pickled ginger.

One of the dishes I will miss is  my son's Indian (Kerala) Fish Stew with onions and chillies.
This was so good that I use to eat it cold for lunch with a squeeze of lemon.
I wonder if he can make it without the chilies and will it still be as tasty ?

and.... who is this sweet baboo ? 
You must check out the Square Dog Friday post to find out....

nightshade. . .  parsnip
music. . . One Summers Day,  Joe Hisaishi

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. Love the sound of the Kerala.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my son would like the omelet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i have to wait another day!

    guddogsaresosweetyert!

    smiles, bee
    xoxoxoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Longing to hear about the mystery pup.

    Mouth watering at you food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like I'd rather like that take on an omelette!

    ReplyDelete