Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Wednesday In Japan. . . Bento

Bento
One of my favorite lunch or dinner is a bento box.
It is a single portioned takeout or home made meal.
Traditional bentos have moveable dividers  for rice, some sort of fish or meat, fresh and/or picked vegetables in a container. They can be takeout throwaways to beautiful or fun reusable boxes.
Some Japanese mum have been know to go crazy with carefully prepared lunches with popular anime, manga characters, animals, plants or scenery.
Daughter makes bentos they are very time consuming but wonderfully tasty and fun.
Here are some of my supplies.
.
My favorite Totoro box
 .

 This is a child's  bento  so I would make two for an adult
.
 What a happy lunch.
.
 Bunnies !
.
 .

 This one has several compartments for rice, meat/fish/tofu and vegetables
.

 more bunnies
.
 Cute pig
.
 This set came with it's own chopsticks.
.
Supplies
.
 Bamboo Sporks love these, and several smaller chopsticks
.
 Little picks 
.
 Better than a toothpick
.
 Just like a cookie cutter to cut out veggie, eggs or seaweed to decorate 
.

 Tiny sauce containers
.

 So much fun
.
If you have a minute just google "Japanese bento box lunches" 
and see how  fun they can be.

...........................
Here is your pretty (?) for midweek


yesh i thehamish have destroyed the funny thingie again
thinking i not likin' the head part
yert
.

hungry. . . parsnip
music. . . Merry Go Round,  Joe Hisaishi

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I miss zooming to Mitsuwa and picking up one for lunch.

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a lot of variety. Of course what counts most is what is IN the box ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daughter makes a vegetarian one that is fabulous.

      Delete
  3. Oh!Oh!Oh!...how I love those bento boxes and all the wonderful things that can go with. The tiny sauce containers and picks just made me grin! So very different from the David Cassidy/Partridge Family lunch box of my youth!

    Tell thehamish that we all think that funny looking thingie thing probably deserved to lose it's silly head. Yert! Hugs to all.

    Buzzy McDuff, The Pip and the Mum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh My Goodness, The Partridge Family... how lucky.
      We all loved our lunch boxes. I can't really remember what one I had. It was metal with a thermos but I was older by the time the all the fun ones came out. I used the little brown paper bag too.
      I think Daniel Boone was a big seller when I was young.

      ack your gud dugs names are beyond cute

      Delete
  4. Oh!Oh!Oh!...how I love those bento boxes and all the wonderful things that can go with. The tiny sauce containers and picks just made me grin! So very different from the David Cassidy/Partridge Family lunch box of my youth!

    Tell thehamish that we all think that funny looking thingie thing probably deserved to lose it's silly head. Yert! Hugs to all.

    Buzzy McDuff, The Pip and the Mum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember what lunch box I had... It was metal and had a thermos.
      I remember Daniel Boone was huge maybe I had a some sort of Disney one ?
      I think I used brown paper bags too,

      Delete
  5. The manga-anime influence really is all over Japan.

    In the Hamish's defense, the thingie had it coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Manga-anime is but also just beautiful ones.
      In America we have the Super Heroes and Boy Bands.

      Delete
  6. Shared this with daughter. Wish you could have heard the oohs and aahs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have an aunt who is Japanese and her two girls, my cousins, always had the coolest packed lunches. It was almost like an art project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the containers. Functional but cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are all so adorable. I want a lunch like that. I guess I'll have to make my own using some of these ideas especially those cute cookie cutter things. The sauce containers too. Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful for the children - especially - but I would relish eating out of those pretties.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you know...

    Bento boxes were particularly popular with the Portuguese saliors way back in the isolationist days. In fact, there are similar boxes in many other cultures that were frequented by Portuguese sailors. It is thought they took the idea from Japan and spread the concept to other ports.

    ReplyDelete