Friday, October 7, 2016

Square Dog Friday. . . thehamish

Best day of the week is here, especially if you are a Little Square Black Dog.
We all know the drill by now so let's wurff it !
...
Thursday was doctor day for thehamish. Three and a half hours later, blood test 
and x-rays we were finally home and very tired.
Turns out the fiddling I have done with his insulin has worked ! 
The Fructosamine test (time sugars) came out right in the correct zone.
Chronic pain test was slightly lower. The x-ray was interesting not as bad as 
it could have been. 
And of course we have changed his meds around and put him on a 
"people" Ace Inhibitor.  
Not for high blood pressure and heart problems but because his kidneys are working 
but filtering out too much protein.
And some other boring stuff that you don't need or want to know.
So Thursday much to long but was better than usual.
.
 just a tired, not feeling so gud thehamish

 sleepy restin' and tired gud dug i thehamish
.
thehamish also has a new squeaky

 6 countin' 6 squeakie'

 yesh is gud squeakin' toy 

 nom nomm

 this is a gud gud gud dug toy an i thehamish is lovin' chewin' it
itis really cute and has 6 gud big squeakies 
nom nomm
.

As always just because I can, here is your pretty to start the weekend.

I have this very old old and super comfortable IKEA chair.
My first Scotty Kirby would levitate herself into the chair 
and sleep there, it was her chair. Then Watson would gracefully lift himself up 
and sleep there. It became his chair. thehamish never could jump up on his own.
He needs a rug for traction, to leap from so it never became his chair.

 But..... Oliver has decided that this his now his chair and curls up
on it and snuggles down. 
I will try to post a photo of Merida soon but most of the ones I have taken
so far of her just have not come out that great. But really if you didn't know 
this was Oliver it could be her !

Have a lovely fall weekend.

tests. . . parsnip
music. . . 24K,  Bruno Mars






29 comments:

  1. Oh Ham, it's a bitch getting old. Glad he's on the mend. Did you have to get urine for the protein test. I've tried to slip a paper cup under Sister when she squats, but she shoots up as soon as she sees me coming. I've wanted to adjust Sister's insulin, but I'm scared of telling the vet as I know she wouldn't approve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This vet likes me because she knows that whatever she and his 3 other doctors dream up, I will do it.
      From 8 eye drops a day, cooking his food to helping him walk with a sling. The thing is I check on his poo, urine and how much water he drinks. I can gage how much insulin to up or drop by his drinking and urine output.
      Like you (i think ) I have been watching him and his diabetes for 10+ years now. The thing is Scotties are not seen that much here so the doctors really have no feel for Scotty traits like so many of the other gud dugs.
      Get a small not very high plastic tray attached to a long stick and slip it under Sister. Plus wait till she really has to go that helps. Plus a treat in your hand. Do it everyday and you will get a sample.
      thehamish should have been died 7 years ago with all his problems but Scotties or terriers are just so tenacious. They do not give up and neither do I.
      You are your best doctor to your gud dugs and your vet should appreciate your help. Mine told me that several of her diabetic patients do not get good homecare. Their owners are surprised that they need to put the time in with their dogs illness. And as you and I know know we work our day around our gud dugs.

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy to hear Hamish is improving! And Oliver is a beauty--can't wait to see a photo of Merida!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very lucky with these cats. They are super sweet, you can pet them any time and Merida and Oliver love their tummy petted by Adam.

      Delete
  3. I can imagine that being a tiring day. Good that Hamish has toys to make up for it.

    Oliver looks quite distinguished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute squeaky toy, ithehamish! hope you are feeling better soon!

    oliver reminds me of my late steven (passed 2012).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh poor Hamish but good to see him looking so much brighter after a nice sleep on a cosy bed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that after that long Thursday, you and the gud dog came home with some good news.

    I've left you some additional leaf info over at my place.

    Oliver and the camera are very compatible.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ohhhhhhhh gud, I shall check over now. Thank you.

      Delete
  7. Such a long day for you and that gud dug. But so glad your medication shifts and changes for him are working out so well. It's been a lovely fall season and we're nearing peak leaf color over here, so you know what's looming in our future very soon....snow! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know with your kitties, we are their best doctors.

      Delete
    2. I mean our gud dugs, never should I try to write late at night.

      Delete
  8. Poor old lad but I'm glad the new toy cheered him up x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's wonderful that Hamish is in a better zone! Oliver looks good in that chair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is better but I have to keep an eye on him if he slips

      Delete
  10. May God bless you and poor, tired thehamish.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  11. thehamish had a long day on Thursday, but I'm glad he's got some good results! I love seeing his happy face :-) Olver does look quite comfy on that chair. I look forward to seeing photos of Merida, too!

    Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the picture when he's all blurred, enjoying his new squeaky!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry about the about filtering out too much protein

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. Sort of settling in they like the home but Merida does not want to be friends and Oliver is Taking it very slow.

      Delete