Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Tako Ferry


Tako Ferry, originally uploaded by angryparsnip.

One of my favorite places to visit on my trips to Japan was the Tako
Ferry that ran from the Akashi Hyogo Port to Awaji-Island Iwaya Port.
About a 20 minute ride for cars, peoples and bikers on the best
decorated ferries I have ever seen.
This ferry runs next to the Akashi Kaikyo Bridge which besides being
very beautiful is the longest suspension bridge in the world.

I'm not sure when this ferry started (it was much needed) but after
the completion of the bridge in 1998 I guess the ridership dropped ?
because the ferry closed down at the end of 2010. I am so sad ! I
always looked forward to that ferry ride.
I didn't know about the closing when I was there last October and I am
so glad Japanese Son made sure that he planned one of our day trips
routes so I got to ride the ferry, as it turns out, one last time.
What seems strange is every time we rode on the ferry it was
completely full and people and cars were always lined up for the next
ferry.

It was so much fun ! Thanks Japanese Son.

sad. . . parsnip
music. . . Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea, OST

photos taken by my Arizona Son
Tako = octopus

7 comments:

  1. Very interesting and cute!


    www.thesocialfrog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see manga is alive and well in its homeland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very fond of ferries too - like a temporary world for the duration of the crossing. And love those octopi/pusses/podes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome!

    I totally don't remember taking those photos BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Social Frog...
    I will miss this ferry so much... cute and useful what is not to love.

    David...
    I am so pleased we got to ride it one more time...
    Adam took the photos... so happy because I don't have any really great photos of the ferry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you ever wonder why people take out the best parts of something. It is not often you get a ferry ride anywhere. And I agree, it would be one of the most "looked forward to" activities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carole...
    I know it is economics but.... you always saw lots of people using the ferry like a bus to get across the Inland Sea.
    The fee to use the bridge was lowered, so I guess it was easier to use it then. I wonder were all the people who rode bikes are now ?

    ReplyDelete