Thursday, December 9, 2010

Omiyamairi


smIMG_5465, originally uploaded by Mollybot.

The Shinto priest is getting the shrine ready for Mia's Blessing Ceremony.

This is a small but very beautiful shrine is in the Koshikiiwa Jinja Temple.
In the top part of the alter is a round mirror, one of the three symbols of the Shinto Belief. A mirror to reflect your true nature, there is also a sword for power and purification and a jewel for influence over others.

The priest's chants include the name of the baby, date of birth, parents names and most important the baby's address so the Gods can find the baby and bless her. I just loved that last part !

David helped with parts of the ceremony and held an offering of a branch of the Sakaki Tree tied with white folded paper. I had the honor of holding Mia because I was Mia's Grandmother on the Fathers side.

grandmother. . . parsnip
music. . . Breath of Heaven, Amy Grant

May whatever you believe in find you and bless you too.


7 comments:

  1. Congratulations!
    This sounded like a beautiful ceremony.
    Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow parsnip. Fantastic image, and what a glimpse into the practise of a belief system I've read about, but never actually seen (if you know what I mean). And you were there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must have been very moving.
    Lovely colour on an unremittingly grey day like today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is fascinating to learn about other cultures. What an honor for you to hold Mia during the Blessing Ceremony.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing these lovely photos. It must have been wonderful to share in this ceremony. I love the final line in your post. It's a sweet blessing.
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna...
    It was a lovely ceremony and everyone was so nice to us. while we waited for everyone to get there, we were served the most lovely tea.

    Titus...
    Yes I do know what you mean never in a million years did I think I was going to be part of such a lovely ceremony.

    Pat...
    I just love the Temple colors so bright and inviting and so different from what we are use to.

    Diane...
    Yes I was very honored to hold Mia and she slept through much of the ceremony so it was really nice for me.

    Joanna...
    I hope the gods know my address too ! I thought it very interesting and quite charming to be sure to have the right address.

    Norma...
    Yes I was very impressed and inspired.

    ReplyDelete